15 tips for your students to help them succeed on the day of their exams.
- Wake up early so that you do not need to rush through having breakfast and getting ready.
- Check the venue and time of the exam to make sure that you have not confused the day/time/venue.
- Have a balanced breakfast and eat nothing risky (probably not the best day to have a super-hot curry!). Bananas are always a good option.
- Before leaving home, check that you have everything that you will need – ID, stationery, map to the exam venue, etc.
- Head to the exam with plenty of time. A lot of unexpected events can happen on your way there and you do not want to be late!
- If there are people around who are panicking, avoid them. They are not doing you any favours!
- Go to the toilet before the exam starts. Exams can be quite long and there is no time to waste.
- Remember to write your name on the exam paper. You would not believe how many people have forgotten to do it!
- Read all the questions carefully before starting and quickly plan how much time to allocate to each.
- Start answering the questions that you feel most confident about. There is no need to answer the questions in order.
- If your brain freezes, just start writing anything and you will soon start remembering more details.
- Don’t spend more time than you planned on a particular section/question or you might run out of time to answer other questions and gain those extra marks! Also, leave any questions that you are unsure about for the end.
- Don’t be afraid to ask the examiner if you are not clear on a question.
- Use every minute of the exam and if you have time left, review your answers before handing back the paper.
- Stay calm, you have done your homework and have nothing to fear!
On a final note, will you be rewarding your students effectively for their hard work and effort?